Thursday 26 August 2010

Colombo, at last

Hi. My name's Oliver and I'm a teddy bear who was having a very comfortable time in Cheltenham when I was chosen to be the team's mascot. I didn't get any say in the matter. Bloody typical.
Anyway, after what seemed like an age in a suitcase, we arrived at the Cinnamon Grand in Colombo and I am now where I ought to be - sitting pretty in a large bed.
At the airport we were met by Ranga, Jonathan's old friend, who drove us here and was a really nice person - I wish he was the one driving the tuk-tuk, I tell you. His children had written a card welcoming us all which was sweet of them. On the way to the hotel we also met the people who are organising the challenge. They seem pretty sane - thank God.
Whilst I've been having a well-earned rest J, N & H have been in the v smart restaurant at the hotel having more lobster than is good for them and being forced to check out the quality of the wine. Poor sods.
Tomorrow we (they) go shopping for all the things they forgot, then they plan to sit around the pool, checking out the beer, probably, until it's time to choose a restaurant for dinner. Tough going, eh?
On Saturday, though, the real thing starts. They learn to DRIVE the tuk-tuk and bring real peril to Sri Lanka's roads. Then the fun begins. I'll be keeping you up-to-date. Yes, me. I've been volunteered  for that job as well. I didn't get any say in that either. Like I said, bloody typical.
G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment